Sunday 19 August 2012

THEY GRUMBLE: Pen, Papers & Pad


‘Why did you not invite us?’ ‘We worked day and night!’
 they grumbled – pen, papers and pad.

I was settling back after a busy day. The book release function went on so well. The invitees who turned were all praises. I released my work ‘The Bible & The Church’ on 16 August, 2012. It took me some years to bring it out. It was actually incomplete. At times books are released without a good finis because the writer is forced to meet the deadline. This was no exception. Yet, I envisioned a grand release function. Days of planning, preparation and hard work made it a mega event.  Many put their hands together to make this event a grand success. During the function, I thanked people who supported the work. I gradually led the crowd to understand the making of the book, its relevance and the people who proposed and pushed this project on me. In a way, it was truly a justification. In a climate of mounting criticisms, I had to defend the rationale of the book.

Generally, my contemporaries discredited the work as repetitive and foolish. If summarized the critique goes something like ‘What is the credit in retyping the whole Bible, the Dogmas and the History of the Church, re-printing it, in the pretext of making it one’s own?’ They have a point. Nevertheless, it is good to have a work of one’s own. We can personalize and arrange it to meet our needs. I had resources. I went for it. It will sure contribute to people around.

Everything ended well. The invitees left after a tasty lunch. The eatery was bit cramped. Everyone had a mouthful and more. Quite contrary to my normal behaviour, I chose not to carry my pen, papers and pad today. Actually if not for my pen, papers and pad the silent companions of every writer nothing would materialize. They make my thoughts come alive in a paper, give them shape, write them, rewrite them until they crystallize make plain the message. They are so close to the book as I am; the authour. Today I needed them not. I have the book. My pen, papers and pad got me what I wanted. I needed them not. I confined them to my room. I locked them up. It’s funny, somehow my security guard spontaneously sat down to watch over them. I did not want them trespass the book release function. It is the day of books, real books. Pen, papers and pad they do not belong here.

My heart overwhelming with joy and satisfaction I returned to my room at the end of the day. When I clicked open my door, I found my pen, papers and pad scattered all over grumbling.

‘We worked day and night for the book.’ 
‘Why did you not invite us for its release?’, asked my pen, quite bold in a protesting demeanor. 
I was confused. ‘Why them?’ I asked myself. 

They aren’t books. Usually people do not listen to them. Those who live in the mercy of others lose their voice. Their looks grim and sad, their faces swelled up in anger and disappointment today they sought no mercy but justice. I feared facing a strike. They would but dare to make one. They depend on me for their existence.  

I had to complete the book I had released just the previous day. I had to write, rewrite until I reached a good finis. My pen, papers and pad once again took an active part in my life. I went for my classes the next day. I study theology in Don Bosco Theological Centre, Kavarapettai – an initiative of the Salesian Province of Chennai, India. It was inaugurated on August 16, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment