Friday 10 August 2012

A SUMMER in SHANT MANAS - April, 2012



An Interaction at Shant Manas
Walking in and around the streets of Madurai and the surrounding villages meeting people, visiting monuments, facilitating serious discussions, extending hands to noble causes (promoting positive mental health), listening to inspiring sharings, acquainting with strangers (Hijrahs / Trans-genders) in the month of April; the summer this year was simply tough, memorable, tiring, beautiful and ‘great’.

It was enriching to acquaint with new friends with a very inspiring life; interesting, aesthetic and historical places to relax; broad, open and fresh concepts to reflect. They have challenged me to reconsider my frame of thought regarding the contribution of the non-christian-ordinary-people in the transformation of the society. Despite my familiarity with genuine freedom fighters, social activists and social workers in India, it never occurred to me that they could be around me. So it was the case regarding mental health. These days taught me a lot. It was tougher than textbooks.

Interacting with a Service User (not seen in the photo) in his house
Initially I was in Madurai, to learn about the mental health (Psychiatry). I was placed in a non-profitable NGO called Shant Manas which promotes mental health in the villages towards the eastern borders of the city.  I had a live-in learning experience walking into the lives of people with mental illness, common mental disorders, and learning disabilities; the social stigma that haunts them and the improper remedies proposed in their surroundings. The experience changed my attitudes and perceptions towards the mentally ill. I gained new insights into mental illness – its causes, remedies, duration, complications etc. Most fundamental among them was their right to be respected as human beings suffering from some sort of brain dysfunction, which can be treated like any other physical illness. Further it helped me break the myth of superstitions and black magic regarding mental illness popularly prevalent in both the literate and illiterate of India.

Besides the subject matter, the NGO challenged me to alter the vertical, top-bottom, institute centered methodology of functioning in our work for the poor. Instead it proposed a horizontal, dialogical, egalitarian, people-centered method of functioning. The NGO calls the patient as ‘service user’ and treats them in their natural family setting in contrast to the traditional method of treatment in seclusion. Added to these learning experiences, I cherished my friendship with the volunteers working there: Bhuvana mam, Vignesh, Arun, Vanny etc.

My visits and interactions with transgenders had a transformative effect. They helped me broaden my horizon. The allowed to glimpse into their world-picture, form of living etc. Hoping to get reach out to them some time in future.
A Discussion about the Traditional Treatments for the Mentally Ill

 
A Volunteer presents the Rehabilitation Programme for the Mentally Ill



No comments:

Post a Comment